- This event has passed.
Adult Introduction to Kayaking Course. (Paddle Start)
May 18 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm£25.00
Experience your first session on the water; learning useful skills for an enjoyable paddling experience. It aims to provide you with the basic knowledge to enable you to safely get in and out of your boat, make it move and return to your start point. This is your first step into the world of paddling, ensuring you feel safe, confident and ready to progress to the Discover Award.
Our Adult Introductory Courses are designed for you to “give it a go”. These enjoyable one day courses start with the introduction to kit and equipment and provide basic safety awareness and the introductory skills.
Our focus is to give you the confidence to simply get into the great outdoors and enjoy the activity and the natural environment and to provide information if you perhaps wish to progress on to further activities, courses or hire equipment.
Experience kayaking and/or sit-on-top kayaking. Providing you with an introduction to an ever increasingly popular pastime. Progressing in your own time to learn the basics about kit & equipment, introductory skills and safety awareness whilst cruising the sheltered water of Exeter Shipping Canal.
Your first time on the water ‘having a go’! A fun and enjoyable practical session, introducing you to paddlesport.
What is covered in the Start Award?
- Clothing and equipment information, think of it like a crash course in everything you need to physically get yourself on the water, covering all the types of equipment you’ll need
- Tips for getting on the water including how to get safely in and out of your canoe, kayak or SUP from different places you are likely to paddle
- Learn to paddle with practical skills such as paddling forward, turning and stopping… pretty much everything you need to get started and moving
- Staying safe on and off the water, you’ll learn about how to stay safe and make the most out of your paddle session.
Paddle Start (Syllabus).
Enjoy your first session? Excellent, we knew you would! When you’ve completed your Start Award there are two options for you to progress your paddling skills:
- Progress onto the Discover Award
- Hire equipment from Haven Banks and head out paddling on your own… check out the Paddle Trails for some inspiration!
View further information on our British Canoeing Paddle & Personal Performance Awards Page.